Erected 1885 Dedicated June 14, 1886 in Loving Memory of MOSES B. TAYLOR by his wife, Catherine A. Taylor.
Now known as the
Elberon Memorial Church
Is blended tastefully with Gothic architecture of the building, designed by the eminent New York architect, Stanford White. From the street we are confronted with a large not quite symmetrical, gable-fronted building with a tall Norman tower set off to the left. There is a shed roof over the wide entrance porch and a gabled roof over another entrance through the base of the tower. A large circular window with its own gabled roof is set in the gable. The New York Times in 1886 described the tower as “quaintly-designed,” which suggests a vernacular structure, but this tower is anything but. It is clearly based on a Norman precedent, from the region of Normandy where wealthy French and English took their summers. The ironwork and open trusses on the supporting columns of the entrances are reminiscent of those found on the better Episcopal churches, and the side windows and the large rear window contain exceptional tracery and stained glass. Two huge gables, almost the size of transepts, project from each side, with unusual buttresses. The design of the gables/transepts is sui generis—without precedent in this state. The workmanship and materials throughout are exceptional.
Stanford White was an American architect and partner in the architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, the frontrunner among Beaux-Arts firms.